Chaos and Cuisine!!

Follow the adventures of Sean and Katrina as they save the world, battle evildoers, and explore world cuisine!

Tuesday, July 6, 2010

It Came From Beyond : Aloe Vera Drink

Where: Korea

While exploring new foods is often scary, the most terrifying concepts in beverages are easily dispelled by one simple fact: no matter the country it's all sweetened until it is mostly harmless. Katrina has long been a fan of this odd, translucent drink full of chunks of aloe vera drink (a plant primarily used for hand lotion here in the US). I had my doubts about it, but found a Sugar-free version that approximated that taste of hers and decided to give it a go.

The texture is odd, with little "bits"floating around it. I've experienced this trend before, like grass jelly drink, but the insubstantial bits of Aloe take on a very different tone. It's not all together bad, but quite unlike anything western. The alien-green of the bottle is deceptive, once poured it really looks quite normal, save for the "bits". If you're in the mood for something different, it's pleasant, and definitely worth a try.

2 comments:

  1. yeah they have that all over the place here in korea.. ive never had it, but my friend tried it once and threw up moments later :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found a peach-flavored rendition of this aloe drink at an ethnic grocery store that was delicious. I was a little worried that it might upset my digestion...but I had no problems. =) My fiance even liked it - but he said the bits of aloe in the liquid was "a little too weird for him"

    ReplyDelete